Getting to bake is one of my favorite things to do! Getting to share my baked goods with other people is just the icing on the cake! Or, the ice cream on the pie as it would be for today’s recipe! This Crumb Topped Apple Pie (with a secret ingredient) is one that I recently shared with some friends and I loved getting their feed back!
This past weekend, I was out at Enchanted Acres (my favorite place to celebrate fall) for their PorkTober Fest! This is a great event that Shannon put together to share her love of Pork with her visitors to her pumpkin patch! October is Pork month after all! 4 bloggers (myself, Alicia of Losing My Schmitt, Anita of Picnic Life Foodie, and Kaitlyn of My Farmer’s Wife were all present with some of our best pork recipes! She also had fun coloring packets, pig erasers, pig ears, and more for the kiddos!
I’ve had this idea for a pie rolling around in my head for quite awhile now and since it’s not something with chocolate in it, the guys in my house won’t touch it, so I knew that taking it to the patch to share with friends would be a great idea!
While I intended this pie to be a great caramel apple pie recipe, it didn’t turn out that way, BUT it’s so delicious that I’m ok with it! And, by tasting it, you would never know it had caramel sauce in it, so what a great secret ingredient! This recipe mixes up together relatively quickly (for a homemade pie) and holds together fantastically!
- For the Pie:
- 1 pie crust
- 3 McIntosh apples: peeled, cored, & diced
- splash lemon juice
- 1¼ teaspoon apple pie spice, divided
- ¾ jar caramel sauce
- ¼ cup flour
- For the Crumb Top:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place pie crust in the bottom of the pie pan, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon apple pie spice and bake for 8-10 minutes or until just slightly brown.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, caramel sauce, and flour.
- Pour apple mixture into the pie shell after it is partially baked.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, & cinnamon.
- Add in the melted butter and mix thoroughly with a fork as to create crumbles.
- Evenly spread the crumb top onto the apple mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the pie slightly bubbles around the edges.
- Serve slightly warmed.
- I do not make my own pie crust! I buy the refrigerated crusts! Remember, I’m all about easy! The package on the crusts does not to say to pre-bake the crust for a fruit pie, however I feel as though the crust doesn’t get quite as soggy if you do! The secret for making the crust extra yummy is sprinkling it with the apple pie spice before baking!
- If you want your pie to have a little more “filling”, then add more caramel sauce! I personally think 3/4 of a jar makes for the perfect amount! I want to taste more apples than filling!
- By baking your pie for only 30 minutes, it allows the apples to maintain some of their integrity and “firmness”! I prefer this! If you want your apples to be softer, then simply bake your pie a little bit longer!
This pie received rave reviews from Shannon and her friends! Her mom added some whipped cream topping to her slice and said, “If I’m going to have pie, I’m going to do it right!” and I think that sums up pie perfectly! Of course, I prefer a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but either way, it’s super yummy and super easy! With the holidays coming up, I know you and your family will enjoy this Crumb Topped Apple Pie with that secret ingredient of caramel sauce!