The holidays are fast approaching and we all feel our pants getting a bit tighter! Thanks to this Healthier Taco Skillet, you can worry a little less! When you live in Iowa in the winter, all you want to eat are comfort foods! Comfort foods are usually associated with words like creamy, gooey, cheesy, etc! That also usually means they pack on the fat and calories too! I knew I needed an ooey, gooey comfort good without all that, so I came up with this dish!
I’m in a round of the 21 Day Fix right now! (I know, how many times have you heard me say that?!) But, seriously, I have to stay after it or my addiction to sugar just goes crazy! A good friend of mine is a coach and decided to run this challenge before the holidays and I thought it was a great idea, so I joined in! For the most part, I’ve done REALLY well (except for that ice cream on Saturday night and that Oatmeal Cream Pie on Sunday night)!
Thanks to Iowa, I’m craving warm comfort foods sooner than normal! We seemed to have skipped over fall for the most part and our temps are already consistently in the 30’s and have even dipped into the 20’s already! UGH! It’s going to be a long winter at this rate! Thankfully, I have this new Taco Skillet in my arsenal to help me get through it without having to just eat salads when it’s so cold out!
The Struggles of A Food Blogger
I have to share with you a little funny story about this recipe! I threw it together on Sunday as I was meal prepping and it was so successful, I decided to “shoot” it so I could bring it to you here this week! Then, I set up my brand-new “shooting” area and prepped my dish. I set it down and apparently Nike decided that it looked and smelled good and just about helped herself to some before I could get my picture snapped! Thankfully, I caught her in time, but she did keep watch very carefully the entire time! 😉 (She seriously is the best dog!)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small can green chilies
- ¼-1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- 5.3 oz plain greek yogurt
- One packet taco seasoning
- 1½ dry whole wheat pasta
- Begin by browning your ground beef with salt and pepper, drain off any excess grease and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the onions and garlic until translucent in olive oil.
- Add the can of green chilis and let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, letting cook with a lid on for 6-8 minutes to allow them to become tender and release the juices.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta.
- In another small dish combine the tomato sauce, greek yogurt, and taco seasoning.
- After the tomatoes have become tender, add the ground beef and yogurt mixture and the pasta once it has been cooked and drained.
- Place a lid on the skillet, allowing it to heat thorougly
- Not only is this dish 21-Day Fix (or clean) eating approved, but its also super yummy and creamy!
- If you need or want, feel free to add some shredded cheddar cheese to the top of each dish before serving
- Like all my recipes, this one reheats well!
- It really does come together in less than 30 minutes which is a huge deal for me and makes a very large batch
- You don’t have to use fresh tomatoes, but it really does add a freshness to the dish which is so fantastic!
If you’re like me, you’re constantly looking for healthier meals to make your family and I really do believe this is one that they will approve of! Think of it as a healthier hamburger helper type dish! Give it a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy!