On snow days, I love to cook! I love to cook new things and bake! A few days ago we had the Blizzard of 2016! In that one day that I was home, I made Taco Soup, Beer Bread, and Cristen’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies, and mixed up this easy and delicious new recipe, Chicken and Broccoli Wild Rice Soup!
I love rice, I love Wild Rice, and I love chicken. I love broccoli, so why not put them all together, right? This recipe is super easy, full of flavor, and packed with things that are good for your body like protein from the chicken, veggies, and the rice isn’t too shabby either! The best part? It’s easy!! And by now, we all know how much I love a good and easy recipe!
- One cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1½ chopped garlic clove
- 2 cups water
- 5-6 cups water
- 3 cups chopped chicken
- 1 box Uncle Ben's Country Inn Chicken & Wild Rice
- chopped broccoli
- Begin by chopping your carrot, onion, and garlic and placing in a large stock pot with the seasoning pack from the rice, water, and broth and let that cook to a boil for about 20 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and season with pepper for about 30 more minutes.
- Stir in the rice and boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the chopped broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- While this soup goes together easily, it does require some simmering time and patience.
- The broth is more of a taste thing that an exact science! I used 6 cups of broth, but quite possibly could have gotten away with only 5 for flavor. The important part to remember is You will need a total of 8 cups of liquid no matter what.
- For chicken, I used leftover chicken from the last time I made my Herb Roasted Crispy Skin Chicken and the deep flavors from that really added to the soup!
- The other important thing to remember is that the longer you simmer this soup the more broth is soaked up. If you like soup to be more “brothy”, then remove it from the heat as soon as the broccoli is tender. I let mine cook down more and it was delicious!
- Of course, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that it paired wonderfully with the warmed up Beer Bread on the side! 😉
I hope you enjoy this hearty and healthy soup as much as I did! And don’t forget to Comment for A Cause: My Happy Place!