I’ve been in serious meal planning mode recently and these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with Fresh Pico de Gallo have been at the top of my list! Thank goodness for the Instant Pot which makes meal planning and prep so easy! During the few weeks of track season, I seemed to have really got off the path of clean or whole eating and have been working to get back on track!
I also noticed that when I don’t meal plan, there is a lot more waste of food and even money! Meal planning helps me save a $! For some reason, when I don’t have meals easy to grab and portioned off sitting in the fridge, I have a greater tendency to run to a convenience store or restaurant for lunch and we even do it for supper! So, now that track is over I am making the dedication to meal plan and meal prep to save our family money!
Now, onto these super easy chicken tacos and the inspiration came from a few different places. One of the those is the fact that for some reason mexican food always tastes good to me (rarely does it not) and it usually reheats well. The other half of this recipe came from eating fresh pico at a Mexican restaurant when T and I were there recently! There is something about putting that fresh pico on top of your yummy, bubbling mexican food that is super yummy!
- Chicken Tacos:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Pico de Gallo:
- 4 roma tomatoes
- ¼ fresh white onion
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Whole Wheat flour tortillas
- mozzarella cheese
- For the Chicken Tacos:
- Begin by combining all the powder seasonings in a small bowl and rub into the chicken breasts and let rest for at least 1 hour.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of an Instant Pot pressure cooker and place the trivet in the bottom, then place chicken breasts on top of trivet.
- Seal and cook on manual for 10 minutes allowing for a 5 minute natural release.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred.
- For the Pico de Gallo:
- Dice ¼ of a white onion into small pieces
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces
- Place in a small bowl and add the cilantro and lime juice, stirring well.
- Assemble tacos by placing about 1/ 2 cup chicken in the middle of a whole wheat tortillas shell and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on the top. Warm in the broiler or microwave and then add fresh pico de gallo!
A couple of cooks notes:
- These chicken tacos are more of a street taco flavor, milk Mexican flavors, not super spicy!
- While your pot is pressurizing, cooking, and naturally releasing, mix up your Pico de Gallo and refrigerate
- This recipe is considered clean, which makes it super healthy for the whole family!
- Add refried beans to your taco shell when placing the chicken to turn it into a burrito!
- Don’t like whole wheat tortillas? Serve over whole wheat rice instead!
- While you can add lettuce to your taco, the fresh flavors of the pico de gallo really make this recipe!
- Make up extra chicken and place in the freezer to use in chicken enchiladas, etc.
This recipe is so easy to make and makes 4-5 meals for me throughout the week! I hope you find this healthy recipe as yummy as I do!